We all know the classic dessert of bread and butter pudding… but for extra warm wintery indulgence you can’t go past a croissant and butter pudding. The buttery, flaky pastry of the croissants are perfect for soaking up the rich and creamy custard, which we’ve spiked with decadent white chocolate. This is a dessert lovers dream…
And it’s super easy! Because the croissants are already baked with butter, there is no need to butter each slice. So essentially it’s just croissants and custard. The custard is made using Lodge Farm Free Range eggs, which are excellent quality and good for the happiness of chickens! You’ll have some leftover egg whites – these freeze very well and will whip up perfectly once defrosted – you can use them for meringue, sponge cakes, or use for making egg white omlette or for crumbing chicken schnitzel.
But to add that extra bit of indulgence we couldn’t go past decadent chocolate. Aldi have always been well known for the brand quality and low price of their chocolate, making it friendly on the family wallet… and you can use any chocolate you like! We’re using white chocolate, but you can also use, dark, milk or a fruit or nut chocolate. All products used in this recipe are available from Aldi.
Watch Sammy demonstrate this recipe on The Morning Show HERE!
Sammy’s Croissant and Butter Pudding with warm berry coulis and ice cream
For the custard:
- 500ml Farmdale full cream milk
- 500ml Farmdale thickened cream
- 1 block (200g) choceur white chocolate, chopped
- 6 Lodge farms free range eggs
- 6 Lodge Farm free range egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp Merryfield caster sugar
For the pudding:
- Just organic butter, to grease the baking dish
- 3 packs Bakers Life Croissants (total 9)
- custard, from above
- 3 Tbsp Just organic butter, melted
for the warm berry coulis:
- 500g sweet haven mixed frozen berries
- 100ml water
- 2 Tbso Merryfield caster sugar
- Award winning Monarch Indulge cookies and cream icecream
- For the custand, place milk, cream and vanilla in a pot and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in chopped white chocolate until melted. Allow to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a stand mixer until fluffy and pale. Slowly pour in the warm milk mix while stirring constantly.
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Butter a 25cm round deep pie dish, or a square brownie tin. Slice croissants into 2cm thick pieces and arrange in dish. Pour over custard, press down slightly to aid soaking and let soak for 5 minutes. Melt butter and drizzle over the top. Bake for 20 minutes.
- For the berry coulis, place berries, water and sugar in a pot. Bring to a simmer, covered, and cook for 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- To serve, place servings of the pudding on a plate, drizzle with the coulis and add a big ball of ice cream.