It seems every Italian has their own version of Tiramisu. This is our favourite – not too sweet, and very boozy!
3 free range organic eggs at room temperature
60 grams icing sugar
250 grams mascarpone, at room temperature
120ml espresso coffee
1.5 tablespoons kahlua
1.5 tablespoons dark rum
20-25 sponge finger biscuits
3 tablespoons dark chocolate shavings
- separate the eggs and whip the whites until stiff peaks form
- next, with clean beaters and bowl, whip the yolks and sugar until very pale and fluffy. This could take a while so be patient. Then, mix in the mascarpone until just combined.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mix, taking care not to knock out the air.
- Mix the coffee and alcohol in a bowl. Dip each sponge finger for 1 second on either side.
- In a 25 x 25 cm square dish, layer some mascarpone mix, then a tight layer of dipped sponge fingers, and continue until full with a thick layer of mascarpone on top. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings and enjoy!