We’re so excited to be partnering with Special K who have challenged us to reimagine our New Year’s resolutions with some delicious and interesting breakfast recipes! Each year there are loads of new food trends, and we have chosen some of our favourites to inspire our breakfast dishes. You can see more recipes from Australia’s top food bloggers and the food trends from Liz Lyons on the Special K website (http://www.specialk.com.au/en_au/home-page.html).
One of 2017’s key food trends is nostalgia, and we just love revisiting retro foods and giving them a healthy and modern twist! So here is our healthy version of a banana split, a delicious way to start the day or a fun and simple dessert.
Nostalgic banana split with cherry compote, gluten free crunch and cacao nibs
Serves 2, or share between 4
- 150g fresh cherries
- 50g cherry jam (or substitute any berry jam)
- 50ml water
- ¼ cup chopped and roasted nuts of your choice
- ½ cup Special K Gluten Free
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 small scoops coconut sorbet
- 2 small scoops strawberry sorbet or soy ice-cream
- 2 small scoops chocolate sorbet or soy ice-cream
- 50g cherries, extra to garnish
- For the cherry compote, squash fresh cherries with the back of a large knife to remove and discard the pip. Chop roughly and place in a sauce pan along with jam and water. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes then let cool.
- For the crunch, simply mix together the Special K Gluten Free, nuts, and cacao nibs.
- To arrange the split, peel and slice the bananas in half lengthways. Take a long or oval shaped dish and place a scoop of each of the three ice-creams in a row, then arrange banana halves on either side. Top with cherry compote, gluten free crunch, and finally garnish with the extra cherries.